Sunday, January 13, 2013

Row 80: Second Check-In and Only Feeling Half a Failure

I didn't set myself hard goals. In fact, I made a point of choosing what seemed to be easy things. 250 words a day. That's what? Two paragraphs? 10 minutes of reading a night? When I used to devour books by the handfuls? Journaling 4 nights out of every 7? And no length requirement?

I didn't want to set myself up for failure. I didn't want to be that person, the one who fails three days in, undone by the seeming impossibility of the task at hand.

And yet I am. Even as modest as my goals were...I failed them. I missed 2 days of writing entirely. 2 days of Reading. 2 Days of Journals. The only goal I achieved was to spend 3 of my writing days on my stalled novel.

Odd that. Amidst the failure, I worked on my novel, the novel, the one that's sort of nested itself in my heart and which - despite every roadblock and every misstep along the way - I cannot give up on.

And I feel sorta good about this week. Yeah, I missed two days. But of the 5 days between the start of this thing (Tuesday) and now (Sunday), I met the challenge on 3 of those days. And, with today, I plan to make that 4.

Next week will be better. Next week, I'm gonna hit every goal and not just one.

Of note, it's surprising how much reading one can accomplish in ten minutes. If nothing else, I've learned how much time I've been wasting and how foolish I've been to say that I haven't enough.

Ten minutes. Even I can do ten minutes. I plan to catch up on a long overdue reading list this year.


6 comments:

  1. I am doing a ten minute reading goal myself and it has been awesome for me. I find my reading (and believe me, I mostly do it in slices between all my other stuff!) has picked up in other areas, too.

    I was so delighted to see you have jumped in here, Anna. I think my favorite goal is to read a poetry book monthly. It gives me a great excuse to discover new poets. My most recent find is Mary Kinzie. She is even a California poet yet I didn't know her work!!

    Anyway - you should be pleased. 4 days at it is more than 3 or 2 or 1!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poetry may make the goal-list next go-round. I've been trying (especially since being part of a poetry critique group) to read more poetry. I find that I am woefully behind in comparison to my better-read compatriots but striving hard to catch up, writing down names as I hear them, etc. It's amazing how many amazing poets I've been missing out on. :-)

      Delete
  2. I think you should be proud of yourself for your accomplishments. None of us are perfect 100% of the time, and thank goodness for that! Great job on writing on your novel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm striving for 99.99% but probably averaging at less than 50%. Lol! But I'm working on it and I suppose that's all anyone can do! Thanks for commenting! :-)

      Delete
  3. I read so slowly I need to dedicate a few hours to my reading, although I slot in ten mins here and there between travel if thats on the agenda for the day. Baby-steps is the way forward, and it seems to be working a treat for you. Good work on the novel!

    shahwharton.com. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Baby steps are my saving grace...if it was ever an all or nothing thing, I'd be lost. :-)

      Delete