Thursday, January 10, 2013

Row80: First Check-In and Still Feeling My Way

Wednesday is edging to a close and I am just now checking in to Row80. This is my first check-in and I'm a little bit nervous. I don't know why. I think it may be because I spent the past hour or so writing. And it's weird. I can't remember the last time I did that without a deadline looming. Okay, okay, Row80 is a deadline of sorts, self-imposed and all that. But you know what I mean. Usually, I'm scrambling to get myself together for a critique group or some similar get-together where I'm expected to have pages.

Today? I just had a promise...made to myself and witnessed by a bunch of strangers who neither know me nor care whether or not I succeed. Who knew what a motivator that would be?

Or how nice it is to just sit and write without that panicked awareness of the time-clock ticking down the hours till I have to be...wherever.

And, yes, it's easy to say this now...just a couple of days in. I'm doing well but I'm just starting. Still, I'm optimistic.

So, my progress. I did not start writing on Monday, made an arbitrary decision that Row 80 for me started the day after I posted my goals. I posted my goals on Monday...so Tuesday was Day 1 and today is Day 2.

Goals/Progress

Days of Writing: 2
Words Written: 539
Journals: 0
Days of Reading: 2

All in all? I'm pleased.  If I want to make my journaling goal for the week, I'll need to journal for the next few nights.  But I'm looking forward to it.  Huh.


2 comments:

  1. Glad you're pleased with your progress and looking forward to meeting your goals. Keep at it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only write when I can come to it joyfully, because I used to impose so many rules and limits on myself that the joy went out of it...

    Oddly, I find that I am hugely more productive this way, and what I write is far better than anything I ever forced myself to write.

    Or maybe that's not so odd. I know I felt clenched and so aware of those "have-tos" that maybe it's no wonder that I couldn't often touch my deep and true places.

    I feel you are moving in the right direction, and with the right attitude!

    may your ROW just get better from here! =D

    ReplyDelete