Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Row80: Where We Begin

Ah, the first check-in. I'm usually one of the last to post on any given day but my Tuesday night has extended itself into Wednesday morning so I thought I'd take the rare opportunity to be among the first.  Yay me!

I had a dream a couple of weeks ago, a strange dream involving rat-people, man-sized beasts in hooded robes.  I remember little else of the dream and it has absolutely nothing to do with any of my novels-in-progress.  But something about the rat-people brought about a sudden inspiration regarding the next step forward on one of my many novels in progress.  It involves rats (rat-sized rats thank you very much) and magic and a character I thought I'd written completely out of the novel.  That's all I'll say on the specifics (when I'm a rich famous author, you may all dissect and debate this blog as to which scene of my book-to-be I'm referring to).

I kept telling myself to write it down, to capture the thought before it got lost in the absolute disaster that is my brain.  Life interfered.  I interfered.  I distracted myself doing some much needed (but could have waited a little longer) salvage on a dying computer to rescue other sections of that work-in-the-works.

Today, I wrote the first part of that scene.  And I can't quite articulate the sense of relief that came to me as I wrote.  It was like the scene had pressurized inside me and letting it out was...It was...nice.  I would find a bigger word, a better word but sometimes "nice" is exactly that...nice.

Some clarification of my weekly goals.  5K words average per week is fiction...because I don't want to count words for my blog.  Is that laziness?  Maybe.  But it puts the emphasis on my fiction and I think that's a good thing.

As of today?

I have written something every day...so far.  3 days in and I shouldn't be so pleased with myself but I am.

I haven't hit my 5K quota for the week but I've still got the majority of the week in front of me.  I am confident I'll get there by Sunday.

I didn't get to my reading on Monday but I started George Orwell's 1984 today...well, yesterday...Tuesday, whatever.

So...checking in and starting out right...I hope.




8 comments:

  1. "Today, I wrote the first part of that scene. And I can't quite articulate the sense of relief that came to me as I wrote."
    I understand that feeling completely. I have folders full of scenes that just needed to be gotten out of my head, explored, written down. I don't know if any of them will ever be used, but they sure needed to be written.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep exactly...thanks for stopping in. :-)

      Delete
  2. A good start to any challenge is awesome! And getting a scene down on paper is a wonderful feeling. I hope you can keep your goals going. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the good wishes...I need all I can get!

      Delete
  3. Oh, good. I thought I was the only one who did this. I wrote an UF short story based on a dream I had. Woke up on a Saturday morning and it wouldn't leave my brain so I spent the day outlining it and finished it the next day. I know 7,800 words don't normally fit in a normal anthology submission, but I'm in a workshop right now that will have us publish one of our stories on Smashwords and Amazon. I figure I'd give it a try. All of this outside my current WIPs for the month (1 for Camp NaNo, 1 for Savvy Authors Boot Camp), A to Z Challenge, and the WIPs I have in various stages of revision.

    I think I'll eventually sleep again. Maybe grab a bite to eat, every now and then, too.


    Great job with the goals. Though I write in a sleep-deprived state now, at least I have #ROW80 to keep me in check!


    Tonette dela Luna
    ~~~
    Blog: Textploits of the Writerly Persuasion - http://tonettedelaluna.wordpress.com/
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/TonettedelaLuna
    FB: https://www.facebook.com/TonettedelaLuna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely not alone. It doesn't happen all the time but every so often. One of my nanowrimo endeavors was a mid-month dream inspired do-over...gotta love when that happens. :-D

      Delete
  4. There is something quite evocative about man-sized rats in robes. Though it could go either way for me, slightly cartoon and cute like, or really quite scary and creepy. Probably best you went for rat sized rats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the dream they definitely went creepy...but suspect if I wrote man-sized rats they'd go toward cartoon which is not generally what I'm going for. But I may have to write the man-rat story someday just to see. :-) Thanks for commenting!

      Delete