Friday, May 24, 2013

Extra! Extra! Girl abandons blog in favor of sleep?



This may be a new record for me.  Up until now, I've been...mostly...on time with my blog entries.  I may have slid past the midnight demarcation into the wee hours of a Thursday or the glimmerings of a Sunday morning, edging past the civilized bed-time hours on some sort of masochistic crusade to make sure that end of the candlestick was well and truly burned.  But I got them in before bed, before my Wednesday ended, before my Saturday was done.  A small distinction but one I cling to.  This entry?  Is late.  Even by my qualified standards of time management.

And what was I doing on Wednesday night?  What tempted me from keyboard?  What prompted me to put down my book, to turn away from the TV?  Honest truth?  I was sleeping.  The book I was then engrossed in, The Lake of Dead Languages by Carol Goodman had been getting really good and I'd been looking forward to an evening in its pages.  Instead, it sat, splayed open print-side down on the arm-rest of my arm-chair.   I don't think I managed a paragraph.  The Dateline I'd recorded?  Played through unattended, dire warnings unheard and unlamented.  My blog?  Was left blank, barely even a glimmer in my head before sleep eradicated it entire.  I abdicated my Wednesday night in favor of a rumpled set of sheets and the whir of my ceiling fan.

Yes, I slept through that entire Wednesday evening, through the whole of that Wednesday night and woke eerily refreshed at a rough half past 5 on a Thursday morning.  I saw WOK Jeff's daily post go up.  I never see it in real time.  I was up before the sun, before that 6:30 deadline which is the make or break point as far as squeezing in a shower and getting to work on time.  I'll confess, I will occasionally even push that deadline to 6:32, sometimes 6:33, having perfected the scrub 'n' go technique required of all night owls who work the 7am shift.  Before you ask, I live approximately 2 to 5 minutes away from work depending on traffic.  And I have no compunctions about wet hair.  They pay me to work, not to coiffe.  My hair's awful anyway, so why bother?

But, on Thursday, awake before the alarm, awake before the sun, awake maybe before our own WOK Jeff?  I felt good.  I had time for a long shower, a weekend shower, a stand under the hot spray eyes-shut shower.  I had time to do my hair.  Still awful, but better than the wet-head look.  Seriously, it's a style?  I had time to read some blogs!  I wasn't just squeezing them in, I was luxuriating.  I had time to en-not sure I can get this word out-en...I had time to enj-enjoy the morning?

You're shaking your head now.  Is this girl serious?  It's just a morning!  An extra hour!  Phah!

But it's not about the hour; it's about the sleep!

I enjoyed the day.

Every minute.

Irritants from the day before became bemusements.  I had energy!  I sailed through the work day.

And it made me think.

I talk myself into late nights.  I do.  I have so many things I want to do, books I want to read, shows I want to watch, novels I want to write.  Blogs.  More than that though, I like late nights.  I like the quiet, the dark, like the long low sound of the train's whistle, the whist of its stop.  I like the stars (when I can see them), the subtle easing of the heat in the summer, the chill in the winter, the way my blankets become a cocoon, my chair a nest as I drift through late-night viewings of my favorite shows (can we say Netflix?).  I like the way words will sometimes work for me, the way my fingers find them on the keys without my knowing precisely what to say.  I like the night.

But maybe, just maybe, I like sleep more.

Huh.   

Thoughts to think on.

10 comments:

  1. It is about the sleep! I am glad you enjoyed yours. It appears to have made a difference for you. I appreciate your preference for late nights. I understand the need for quiet and the other attributes of late night hours. I have the same need for quiet, but I find it in the very early hours of the morning. Being retired, I can stay up until the wee hours if I want to and occasionally I do. We all have our favorites times and rhythms of the day; but, a good night's sleep is essential to enjoying them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely. And I'm getting less and less able to cope with the lack. Still, the night! I envy you the freedom of retirement!

      Delete
  2. I like writing at night but living with a bunch of other noisy college kids doesn't leave me any time to finish anything so I have to wake up earlier in the morning to get stuff done. If I do find time during the day to write or read, I'm usually out taking a slightly longer break at the nearby Starbucks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never really worked out how to write at Starbucks. I'm terrible with the long-hand and the tables are so small. :-( Still, sounds good...you're making me want to go to Starbucks.

      Delete
  3. I really enjoy my pillow time and prefer to sleep in, but I'm usually up about 6:30 during the week. I try to go to bed by 10:30 but that doesn't always work. I find the quiet very calming. I don't have the television or any music playing when I'm home alone and prefer the hum of the computer or the soft playing of my wind chimes instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get easily spooked when there's nothing going, especially late at night. So I usually put something on for background noise at least. I need your nerves of steel...and your sleep schedule. I think it would be good for me. :-D

      Delete
  4. Amazing, Anna, what some extra sleep can do. There's lots of research out now about the benefits with regard to health, mental outlook, even weight control. But the best thing is, you felt better! All good.

    I love how you told about your usual mornings - 6:30, 6:32, 6:33.

    Take care. Sleep on. xoA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My first roommate in college had a strict bed-time she kept to and she couldn't sleep if I was typing, so by default I usually ended up going to bed early too. I don't think I've ever felt so good health-wise (please don't tell her...she drove me crazy with some of her rules). Lol!

      Delete
  5. I loved this. I enjoy the late night too but have the nagging thoughts of everything I need to do the next day and feel the stress so much so that my eyes will not close, and once again I must watch another episode...or read another page etc.. I am glad that you were able to enjoy a very recuperative rest. We all need more nights like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have some of those over-thinking issues. The more tired I am, the less likely I am to be caught in the cycle. I've long suspected that's part of how I got caught up in the late night routine. When I do go to bed early, I try to focus all my thoughts on a big red timer ticking down from 100. (Why red? I don't know.) If I lose my place, I start over. My version of sheep I suppose. It takes some effort but it seems to help derail the worry-cycle.

      Delete