Thursday, May 2, 2013

Random Blogger Thoughts: Del Taco, Late Nights and Bible Verses?



I am tired.  I do not want to write.  I bribed myself with a Diet Coke from Del Taco, cajoled myself into car with key in hand and read tidbits of Unholy Hunger while waiting in the drive-thru for my $2 purchase.  Two pages in, I'll admit I've reservations about the book.  It is not my preferred genre and I have long mis-liked the first person narrative.  It is not a reasoned opinion, but an instinctive one, layered by years of petty resentment at having the "I" processes of my brain hijacked by the authorial decree of someone other than myself.  I think I like the separation of the third person narrative, myself as the reader distinct and whole peering in at a world entirely alien to myself, the voyeuristic thrill.

Already, I can hear the protests...my fellow writers rising up in defense of the more intimate insinuation of reader into the mind, heart, soul of the protagonist.  And I know that all of the arguments will be thoughtful, well-written, and likely brilliant.  I have read the blogs; I know what you are capable of, the ease with which your thoughts take form as though it were merely the act of drawing back a curtain.  I am impressed by the breadth and depth of the experience from which others pluck their offerings, setting the table before me with rich red plums and seeded grapes.  

I wonder.  Does this mean we are enemies, or friends?

I would hope we are friends, but echoes of the long-rehearsed verses of my childhood linger in the brain.  My mind is set upon that table beside the grapes and the plums and those half-n-half pears that taste like apples.  I think I would invite my enemies to dine, watch them suck the juice from their fingers, sink their teeth into the figs and suckle at the fine wines I've never learned to like.  I would watch them eat, reveling in the fact they did so at my whim and for my pleasure.

In the absence of enemies, I say "Come, friends!  Come eat, and have your fill."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am tired.   The day pulls at me, plucking at my hem with needy fingers, urging me to settle back into its inevitable conclusion.  I will yield.

12 comments:

  1. I seldom write in first person. Even in most of my poetry the poet can only be seen indirectly. Though my blog is certainly more personal. So I can certainly sympathize with your point of view on POV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And despite pov prejudices most (not all) of my poetry is 1st person. And though 99.99999% of my fiction is third person, there is that .00001% Go figure.

      Delete
  2. That's an interesting way to look at first person POV - I'd never thought of it that way before. I enjoy reading and writing in both first and third person equally, but I find second kind of irritating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope not a fan of 2nd either...though I will confess a jr high era fascination with choose-your-own adventure books. Lol!

      Delete
  3. I usually write in third person, but every once in a while I'll use first person if it's better for the story.

    I'm glad you've shared your views on this book. It's your opinion and I'm sure it will be respected. I have not opened the book yet, so I cannot offer any opinion. (Note to self, open the book and start reading).

    I would hope we are all friends. Then we can open up, be ourselves and enjoy truthful passionate posts about the things in life mattering to us the most.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book may end up being absolutely wonderful...I don't know yet. I'm only 2 pages in...it's just got a stylistic mark or two against it with the pov for me. The genre isn't a fave but no biggee...it's the 1st person thing working against it...or should I say against me? I fully admit it's my issue...not the book's. I just have to push through to get to the story...if the story's good enough the rest is details. :-)

      Delete
  4. I have no quibbles with the first vs. third debate, though my writing favors the third (though not exclusively). My issue is with the theme of vengeance as something to celebrate. I'm from the "An eye for an eye leaves two men blind" school. I haven't read the book (yet)so please grant me some leeway here. If, as I'm gathering, the protagonist in this first person narrative is on a quest for vengeance, I'd have trouble siding with her. I'm with you, Annis--I definitely prefer Diet Coke to Pepsi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, the question of theme. I'm not generally a revenge-story enthusiast...but I've no real objection to them either. While I do not promote the idea of vengeance in real life, I think there's something cathartic in being able to indulge a very human desire in the safety of a fictional place. That said, it's not a genre I go out of my way for. Still, it's too early in for me to make more than superficial assessments of the book as a whole. My whining aside, I'm still game to read. :-)

      Delete
  5. Ann, I found the book very well written but the subject matter disturbing. I finished the book because I know Heather, elsewise I would have stopped early on.
    You are somewhat mentioned in my latest blog, so if you happen by....
    I write poetry in 1st since it is so personal, and non-fiction 1st or 3rd as it suits the subject.
    Thanks for reminding me you write poetry. TR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even as little as I've read, I think I know what you mean about subject matter, she definitely touches on some sensitive stuff. Still, I'll read on! And be popping by your blog; I am now quite curious (would have popped by anyway). :-)

      Delete
  6. Your way with words is fascinating. A favorite line:
    "Already, I can hear the protests...my fellow writers rising up in defense of the more intimate insinuation of reader into the mind, heart, soul of the protagonist." xoA

    ReplyDelete