Thursday, June 6, 2013

I Can Show You The World...Tales of a Magic Spreadsheet?



I've been struggling for a blog topic.  I'm a day late and already a blog behind for the WOK blog challenge.  Work kept me out of town for a couple of days and, best intentions aside, I couldn't make myself blog in the hotel room.  But, even now and even here, ensconced in my home office (aka spare bedroom with a desk), I struggle.  I start and stop.  Somehow my inner worker-bee got a hold of a draft and started talking work-related minutiae.  I nipped that in the bud (you can thank me later). 
  
I've been wanting to talk about poetry, about the poetry group that managed to scavenge something of a poet from the rubbish heap where I'd put all my poetic ambition.  I started that entry several days ago, a week? But that derailed itself into a morass of unwieldy recollections requiring a Bacon-esque six-step stretch toward the original topic.  I had to set it aside.

I guess I'm not ready to write that one.

So I sit.  And I think.  And I can hear Aladdin in my head, complete with all his cartoon Disney-fied intensity:  "I can show you the world."  If you're like me at all, that has probably set off an instant chain reaction and you will have that song in your head for a week.  Don't worry.  It's natural.  It's Disney.  It will not hurt you.

So why Aladdin?  It's simple.  I've had Aladdin on the brain...because I've had Magic Carpet on the brain.  And I've had Magic Carpet on the brain...because I just signed up for the Magic Spreadsheet.  

Don't see the connection?  Good;  I'd count that as a sign of good mental health.

I have been working the spreadsheet for 5 days now.  It's not complicated.  It's exactly what it says it is...a spreadsheet.  I could have made one myself if I'd thought about it.  Could have, wouldn't have.  I might as well be honest.

You earn points by writing.  You input your daily word totals; it gives you points.  It's strangely addictive.   The more you write, the more points you get.  The longer your chain (chain of consecutive writing days), the more points you get.  There are levels and leader-boards and a Facebook page!

Gimmick?  Maybe.  But I really want to see if I can crack a double-digit on the chain.

And, while I'm hopping onto the gimmick (this is not a bad word, people) bandwagon, it's time to confess my ROW80 failure and re-up to finish out the session in style.

I haven't been checking in as I should.  I certainly haven't hit my goals.  But I feel like I'm on a roll right now so I'd better check in and put out some new goals and see if I can't capitalize on the sensation.

Revised ROW80 goals?  To write 250 words a day and achieve a 29 day chain.





6 comments:

  1. and I really enjoy seeing your mind at play on the blogs. once apon a time I actually taught spreadsheets, so now I know how much I've forgotten. keep blogging it's a selfish (ahem) request but that's ok. Terry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! Thanks, Terry! Glad to see you wandering the blogs. I know life's thrown you a couple of curves but I'll be keeping an eye out for your blog whenever you get the chance to come back to it. I enjoyed reading your posts very much. :-)

      Delete
  2. all best with chain - sure you can - and looking foward to the poetry blog -when you're ready - when you're ready:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Alberta. I've struggled with Row80 but I appreciate the concept so very much...I'm hoping to finish out this round strong (and hopefully the chain concept will help) and move into the next with a little momentum. Thanks for dropping in. :-)

      Delete
  3. No, I didn't see the spreadsheet coming behind Aladdin and the Magic Carpet, but I'm intrigued by it and want to know more. Go for it, Anna. You CAN reach those goals you've set. xoA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I said, failure to follow my brain on that leap is a sign of good mental health! We'll see how the spreadsheet goes. I'm liking it so far. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete