Sunday, June 16, 2013

Stories as Persons: A Row80 Check-In



Sunday.  A quick Row80 check in.  I have now written for 15 consecutive days.  I cannot remember the last time I was able to say that.  I am having some trouble picking up the pieces from day to day.  I’ve been struggling around a story idea, putting out words without managing to combine them into one cohesive unit.  It’s frustrating, and yet…there’s a sense of satisfaction in the fact of the word-count.  I have a fragmented, disjointed start of a story that I think could be really cool.  I wouldn’t have had that if I hadn’t been writing something.  

And, I’m a little hesitant to say this for fear of jinxing myself, I’ve had another story idea pop within the last couple of days.  I’ve been working at that one too, finding its words a little more easily, dropping into the characters, learning the characters.  I don’t think the idea is as interesting as the other, but I think it could be good.  And I know the characters will be more relatable…I think this explains the greater ease with which they’re coming to me.

In a weird sort of way, I think maybe Story #1 is more like me in personality…a little stand offish, hard to approach.  And Story #2 is the person I wish I were, the kind and effusive personality, warm and welcoming, familiar. 

Yeah, I know.  I’m a dork.  Stories aren’t people.  But they do have personality.  And, just like in life, I want only to work on #2.  Because it feels good to work on a story that gives back.

The trick over the next week will be to divide my time.

Row80 Update:  250+ words a day, check.  Writing every day?  Believe it or not, yes.
Magic Spreadsheet:  6,487 words since June 2, a 15 day chain, 141 points.



8 comments:

  1. Congratulations on writing every day!

    I also just wanted to say I really like your writing style in this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My stories definitely take on lives of their own!

    I'm curious about what might happen if you set story #1 aside for a bit, and let yourself fully sin into #2....?

    I tend to keep several projects going at once so that I can do just that, because I discovered a while back that trying to make stories come together doesn't work for me, but if I focus on the one that's currently rubbing purringly against my leg, begging to be stroked, rather than the one off in the corner, back turned to me, I get a lot further, and the writing is much better.

    See, my stories are cats! =)

    Whatever you decide to do, I celebrate your writing streak!

    Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your cat analogy! :-) Cozying up to the friendly story is actually what I've ended up doing...largely out of a lack of discipline...but it's working out pretty well thus far! Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  3. sink, not sin!

    I have a cold, and it's got my brain all muzzy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on your consecutive days of writing. Sounds like you're doing great, Anna. I like how you compared the stories to your personality. Just keep plugging away, girlfriend. xoA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annis! You're always so encouraging...thank you!

      Delete