Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Rollercoasters and Row80

Tomorrow, loops. The slow click, click, chunk, eyes bright on the sky overhead, heart skittering jittering…and laughter. Gasp, huff, scree…and hehehehehe-heeeee! Rollercoasters! Six Flags! A day-trip with my oldest niece. I’m excited, feel like a kid again, tomorrow a field trip escape from the hum-drum of school life. And I think…how lucky! I am going to spend the heat of the day dripping wet with sweat hanging out in hours-long lines with a kid who somehow thinks I’m still cool enough to spend time with.

Let’s hope I can keep up.

As for writerly aspirations, I’m hoping I’ll have 300 words in me by the time I make it home. I know I won’t be up early enough to write before I go and it’ll be cutting it close on the back end. I’ve kept up with 300 words a day. Some of my other projects are lagging and whatever my intentions are as far as playing “catch-up,” I’m clinging to this thing, this one thing…300 words. Just write. Every day. Without fail. I’ve managed it every day thus far and that fact, that small, seemingly insignificant fact…has made a huge difference in how I feel about myself as a writer.

Yeah, yeah, touchy-feely self-esteem…but yeah! Self esteem! I’m writing! There’s no downside to that! 

I don’t have much to write about today. I have rollercoasters on the brain, and poetry. I did submit some poetry to a magazine in June. And it’s always there, back of the brain…and I’m waiting. I hate waiting. And I love waiting. It’s a terrible paradox but, as long as I’m waiting, I might have been accepted. Sorta like the lottery I suppose. You buy the ticket for the dream, not the prize. As long as you hold the ticket, from the moment you buy to the moment they read out those numbers…you could be…you could be…

Enough with the random musings. Goodnight all!















5 comments:

  1. You go girl! I wrote my novel in snippets and dashes, finding time while I threw the laundry in the dryer and snuck away whilst children zoned out in front of the boob-tube.
    Slow but steady, eh?
    ~Just Jill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a fun trip ahead. Good luck on keeping up with your word count goals, you can do it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have fun! (It seems like rollercoasters and amusement parks in general should be fodder for poetry. Maybe microfiction. I can imagine a number of odes to standing in line as well.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bring a small notebook. Or just a few folds of paper in a pocket and a small pen... Write a word here or there in line. Have fun! You CAN do both.

    Have you niece help you with a few lines of a poem--she might have some cool insights. Go for imagery of the rides and heights and the smells and heat...

    And rollercoasters! I love the wobbly wooden ones myself.

    You are lucky to be the cool aunt. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete