Sunday, October 27, 2013

A Monster (OctPoWriMo Entry #27)



A Monster
-from the dark

Bones
beneath
the skin sheath
of my costume
shape intention, and teeth
like gleaming windows in the gloom
offer open exhibition of doom,
as a smile - pointed seams, swallowed dreams, careful tones –
invites visitors.  Appeased, I consume
all offerings, just as a tomb
accepts all that bequeath
body.  I loom,
take your breath,
your death
groans.




Poet's Note:  The prompt...daring...with a diatelle.  We could choose several rhyme schemes...I decided to try the diatelle.  My last couple of "b" rhymes aren't perfect...but I still like how it turned out.  Let me know what you think.

4 comments:

  1. Well, I thought this was delightfully creepy. Just in time for Halloween. I was never quite sure throughout the poem whether we have a child narrator -- or something else a little scarier. The poem invites memory and reflection. The ending rhymes worked for me just fine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Truth? I was going for real monster but I like the kid narrator too...think it could work both ways and I love that you saw both in there! :-)

      Delete
  2. I LOVED this poem! I may just read it out loud at my Halloween party! I especially loved the line "offer open exhibition of doom"...great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Wow! If you did read this at your party, I am thrilled and flattered! If you didn't...the idea that you even thought about it...I am thrilled and flattered! You made my day! :-D

      Delete