Tuesday, October 29, 2013

An Epitaph (OctPoWriMo Entry #29)

An Epitaph
              -slightly premature

Here lies the body
of one not yet dead.
She woke to the silk
of a casket-shaped bed,
her fingers in splinters,
worms on her tongue,
prayers slipping unheard
from diminishing lungs.




Poet's Note:  The prompt was to write an epitaph, which could be humorous or not, creepy or not, etc.  I angled for creepy...'cause creepy is fun.  And I'll admit...buried alive is creepy as it gets.  Lol!  Happy Halloween!

14 comments:

  1. Creepy indeed, but in a Poe way, which is awesome :)

    http://shahscribbles.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. That shivered my timbers...ooh I should write a pirate epitaph.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh...hope you did...will have to hunt it down and read! Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  3. You amaze me, you midnight poet! Browsing through the prompt this morning, I was happy to see that some of you brave souls had already posted.

    Loved the tongue worms. Thanks. xoA

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yikes! In a good Way! Loved it! "from diminishing lungs" eeeeek!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was going for Yikes in a good way! Thank you!

      Delete
  5. ACK. This poem freaked me OUT! LOL. Very gothic, very darkly comic, and suffocating to be sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love freaking people out...with poetry...not in real life...usually! Lol! :-D

      Delete