Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Autumn (OctPoWriMo Entry #1 2013)



Autumn

Autumn comes in the small gasps
of summer’s easing, shushed
into the spaces between
our different sleeps,
the cinnamon hint of it
hidden in the sweat scent
of our dreams.

We cling to our covers,
kick them loose, tangle ourselves
in the day’s dilemmas, the lingering
heat.  Already, we shiver.

Outside, Ieaves – still green –
crisp in eager anticipation of
evening walks, once bare feet
scuttling a path through the
deadening crunch
of the future.



Poet's Note:  Yes, the OctPoWriMo challenge.  31 poems in 31 days.  Last year, I managed 22.  It was great fun.  No, last year's entries are no longer available on the blog.  I don't generally share my poetry via blog and there were several I wanted to work on, revise, improve, etc.  I will keep the 2013 entries up at least for the duration of October  I am looking forward to reading everyone's entries.  Those who read mine...I hope you enjoy.  Please feel free to leave commentary and/or criticism. 

This particular poem was based on the octpowrimo prompt:  an autumn day.  


7 comments:

  1. Bakersfield in autumn. You capture it well and as usual your words are precisely and beautifully chosen. Always a pleasure to read your words, even the ones you believe need improvement. Speaking of which, I was so out of it yesterday I need to go back and revise. I think I was half asleep when I posted but I so wanted to get SOMETHING up for the first day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand about the push to post...I've been scraping at the ends of the day with these poems but I really want to hit 31 this year. This is just such a fun idea and I was amazed with how much it helped me produce last year. That said, thank you so much for the kind words. I really appreciate it! :-)

      Delete
  2. I love the part about the covers...wrap up or kick them away? I can relate to that where I live every night when autumn comes. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, the covers and I do battle! :-) Thanks so much for commenting!

      Delete
  3. Such vivid images in this entire poem, Anna. At the end of the first verse, I stopped and said, "Wow!" In the 2nd verse, I loved the battle with the covers and "tangle ourselves in the day's dilemmas". Then in the final verse, "the deadening crunch of the future" spoke to me.

    Well done! Thank you. xoA

    ReplyDelete