Sunday, October 6, 2013

Butterfly (OctPoWriMo Entry #6)



Butterfly

I am the butterfly,
the worm with wings,
fluttering in anticipation
of flight, of falling; I am one
and I am all of them:  the moth,
the monarch, the caterpillar still
grinding my way through the dirt.
I am breathing, and I know it by
the in-out in-out automation of
lungs, heart, life operating in
spite of every mumbling
fumbling reminder to
breathe and breathe
again.  I tell myself
that it is just my
imagination
keeps that air
bubbling beneath
my skin, that I will not
burst from one more
mouthful, nor burn
when at last all
eyes are
on me.



Poet's Note:  Today's prompt was to explore that which gives us butterflies.  

To check out other poets participating in the challenge, go here:  www.octpowrimo.com 

2 comments:

  1. Oh I love this Anna. The movement and emotion, and the kind of half reflection of a butterfly - so clever. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I was replying to someone else on a different poem just recently...I do shape my poems but often the shapes are random...whatever pleases my eye and my sense of how the poem should read. This may be the first poem that I've done where - while I started to shape it in that random whatever-pleases me shape - I did see and start to consciously work toward the half-butterfly. It was fun. Thank you for reading and taking the time to comment. :-)

      Delete