Friday, October 11, 2013

Evening Hours (OctPoWriMo Entry #10)



Evening Hours

I watched you on your winter’s walk,
a muffled neck and steady stalk,
unbothered by the wind or snow
or the invite of my window’s glow.

I cracked the shutters, waved you in,
made my brother practice his violin.
I had a glimpse through curtain lace,
of a thoughtful smile upon your face.

I watched you walk right out of town,
the dark descending like a frown
around the fragile gleam of ice,
a thief absconding with his heist.

I snuffed the candles, went to bed,
disappointment pillow for my head.
Outside, a soft and aching creak
of firming ice or sad slow feet.



Poet's Note:  This is in answer to Robert Frost's "Good Hours"

I'm still just a few hours behind the day, with this 10th OctPoWriMo entry.  But I had fun with this prompt.  The day's prompt:  Write a reply to a favorite poem. 

I had a few poems in mind but this poem of Frost's has been in my head since I was a young woman in college.  I memorized it for an assignment in expressive reading.  I chose it myself, read it over and over, kept it in my mouth and in my heart all these years later...I always felt a great kinship with the sentiments the poem conveyed.  

For this poem-reply...I decided to step outside of that solitary winter walk and into the warm glow of the cottages that so charmed the speaker of that original work.

6 comments:

  1. Aww... wow! That's all I can say about loving this! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cool how you did this. I was at a total loss, but you nailed it. A favorite line:
    "unbothered by the wind or snow
    or the invite of my window’s glow."
    Thank you. xoA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Annis! I had a lot of fun with it; glad you enjoyed! :-)

      Delete
  3. My favorite lines:
    I watched you walk right out of town,
    the dark descending like a frown
    around the fragile gleam of ice,
    a thief absconding with his heist

    Thank you--your poem was a lovely read that painted a picture which included me therein.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you! I'll confess...that's probably my favorite stanza to write. Thank you so much for reading! :-)

      Delete