Saturday, October 5, 2013

We Are Measured (OctPoWriMo Entry #5)



We are measured in moments,
the time it takes us to get from where
we are born to where we are meant to be,  
in minutes and hours,  the tickety-tock clock
with its two-handed  push toward tomorrow. 
We are measured in missed meetings, second
chances, heart-aches, breaks and mendings,
 the handshake acceptance of fate.  We are
measured in memories, the soft acid-wash
blur of skinned knees, scarred hearts, a
persistent belief in happy endings. 

We are measured.



Poet's Note:  Today's prompt was a list poem.  I struggle whenever given structure, apparently even a structure as simple as starting each line with the same words.  I did interpret this loosely and started each sentence with the same words rather than each line.  Still, I'm not entirely in love with the end result...though I like pieces of it.  Something to think on.

2 comments:

  1. I kinda rebelled too. Your poem looks pregnant. Not fully formed, but full of potential.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I agree it doesn't have a finished feel to it but there are pieces of it that I think I can work with. Thank you for reading! :-)

      Delete