Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Nameless



Nameless,
shaped in stitches,
purpled cravat made
of remnants and haphazard
intent, I have traced your ears
with my fingers, pressed lips
to green cotton and felt
your hard round stare
buttoning my
dreams.


Poet's Note:  The prompt began with an exercise...to name five things without naming them...and then take at least one into a poem.  I made 5 little poems with mixed results.  I liked this one best.  If you're reading this and so inclined...I'm curious what you think I'm writing about here.  I don't think it's too mysterious...but then I have the advantage of knowing the answer!  :-)

7 comments:

  1. I would like to think this is about Emma and the unpredictable nature of your relationship which stitches new dreams everyday!

    Of course I could be completely wrong!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the theory! I think you might have me confused with someone else because I'm not sure who Emma is...but I love that you see so much in this! Thank you for commenting! :-)

      Delete
  2. I don't know enough of your work to hazard a guess. I gathered images of a patchwork dress on a doll and a soft toy made of scraps (a la the Gingham Dog and Calico Cat)... even a memory box with a quilted lid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ding-ding-ding! As close as I dared hope anyone might guess! I have a homemade teddy bear my aunt made for me...which I have dressed in scraps...and yeah...soft toy! Thank you so much for reading! :-D

      Delete
    2. A lucky guess then. And all because of the love of an old childhood poem. :-D

      Delete
  3. "buttoning my dreams." loved it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was thinking of love, but saw it was about a quilt. That is awesome!

    ReplyDelete