Sunday, April 27, 2014

S is for Sleeping Beauty



She was beautiful, a carefully drawn caricature of an ideal Shane had never dared to put to paper, hair tumbling in silken sheets of silvered gold, lips lilting in the unthinking pink smiles of unblemished youth, eyes shimmering echoes of river-run blue.  He reached out, unthinking, brushing his fingers against the feather-soft round of her cheek, wincing as she blinked at him, the baby-doll response he’d gotten from so many others.  He looked over at his companion.  “Another sleeper.”

The old knight sighed and shifted his stance.  “Best end her.”

Shane sighed, letting his fingers linger on that perfect cheek for a moment, shift to touch that silk-soft hair.  “Such a shame, really.  She can’t be more than six and ten?  Seven and ten?”

The old knight eyed the girl carefully.  “The sleepers don’t wear age as we do.  Twice-ten, I’d say.”  He leaned in a little closer, scanning the plain-weave shift the sisters had dressed her in, sniffing at the perfumed hair.  “Well cared for.  Better than the rest.  Royal blood?”

Shane sighed, pulling his hand back, reaching down to loosen the sword from its scabbard.  “And True Love’s Kiss,” he murmured, rubbing his thumb along the etched name of his sword.

She blinked at him as she died, blood on her lips, a singular glint of awareness bursting into her gaze before her eyes glazed over and eased shut, asleep at last.



Author's Note:  Another flash fiction bit I think.  I've always loved the story of Sleeping Beauty.  Classic tale or Disney, I've always loved it.  As a child, I tortured my parents with what I understand to be endless viewings of the Disney movie.  I still love it.  (The dress should totally have been blue...much more flattering than the pink...Merryweather rules!)   Anyway, I couldn't resist putting my own spin on fairytale for the A to Z blog challengeHope you enjoy.

14 comments:

  1. Love the twist on the tale. Well done. (And I totally agree. Blue was the prettier dress!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Very kind! And, yes, blue! Blue, blue, blue! Lol!

      Delete
  2. Very interesting twist on the fairy tale. I enjoyed reading your version!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome post!

    Please visit my blog, http://www.thatgirlybookworm.blogspot.ca

    I'm also participating in the A-Z Challenge and my theme focuses on books and their titles. The titles begin with the letter of the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Popped into your blog but haven't had a chance to look through all your posts...do you review a variety of books or do you focus on the YA? I like YA but was curious since I read a wide variety of genres.

      Delete
  4. well that's another word for freedom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very excellent flash fiction thank you. No sweet ending for Sleeping Beauty. (My apologies for calling you 'Nancy' in my response to your comment on m
    my blog a few days back)
    Garden of Eden Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thank you for reading and the lovely comments! As for Nancy, there are worse names. You didn't call me Annie, Banana or Neener...so you're golden! ;-)

      Delete