Sunday, October 19, 2014

OctPoWriMo #16: Once, we were



Once, we were.

Once, within a garden bed,
we planted bones
reaped
from our dead
and watered them
with bitter tears, plucking
weeds borne of our fears
with bloodied fingers,
tapping toes,
the dance that every
mourner knows.

And, from the loam,
a tender shoot, blackened
from the very root
of long-loved lips
forever stilled,
one last secret
from them
spilled
and flowered
to a thousand ills
of mis-remembered
joys laid bare as
broken toys
left on the
stair.

And yet
we gathered
every bloom, garlands
draped through every room
and threaded in our hair.

We were loved.



Poet's Note:  The prompt was fairy-tales...Once Upon a Time.  I liked the prompt but have done fairy tale poems...so I decided to start with "Once" and see where it took me.  It took me to dark places...but interesting ones.  I may need to play with this one, revise it, see what I can do with it.

5 comments:

  1. The imagery was wow! The verses after the secret spilled were my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a visual learner, I appreciate the vivid picture you painted with this poem. As one who has stood beside the planted bones, you also evoked my emotions. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect autumn poem. The beginning of the second stanza is ace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you brought your dark side out to play. Good job, again. TR

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anna, I really liked this poem -- the internal rhyme and the rhythm caught me, and your visual images:watered them
    with bitter tears, plucking
    weeds borne of our fears
    with bloodied fingers,
    tapping toes,
    the dance that every
    mourner knows.

    I think the poem is fine as is.

    Thank you. xoA

    ReplyDelete