Saturday, October 4, 2014

OctPoWriMo #3: Breathe Deep



Breathe Deep

Give me leafed things undone
trees debarked, debunked, devolved
to the pulped mash beginnings of a book.

The pages are pressed,
binding sewn,
words set.

Breathe deep.


Give me leafed things undone,
greened, gathered, wilted to the
milk-splashed interior of a porcelain cup.

Fingers grow warm,
lips numb, dusted
with sugar.

Breathe deep.


Give me leafed things undone,
thorns trimmed, tamped, tamed
on the ruffled rose rush of eyes meeting.

Heart flutters,
voice stutters,
entreating.

Breathe deep.


Poet's Note:  I seem doomed to be scraping in at the last minute or afterward.  Always late.  Sigh.  The prompt was "sweet things," and specifically what our indulgences are.  I started there but think it moved a little beyond that in the end...but maybe not.  There's a piece of me feels that even what seemed a sidewards step...was actually still moving me forward.  Probably needs some editing (what doesn't?).  But here it is.  

I've been remiss in plugging the site.  Please, if you're here  and you haven't checked out the other poets participating in the OctPoWriMo challenge, please do.  www.octpowrimo.com 

4 comments:

  1. I love the repetition in the poem!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anna, I love this:
    Give me leafed things undone,
    thorns trimmed, tamped, tamed
    on the ruffled rose rush of eyes meeting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything about this gave me the warm fuzzies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I loved it! The imagery of leaves morphing into lovely things...books, tea, bouquets. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete